Freelance IT web and application design and development

Freelance IT web and application design and development

Saturday, July 26, 2014

10 Reasons to Never Expect Free Design or Development Work

  I can honestly come up with about 50 reasons that you should never expect a developer or designer should work without pay. But honestly I have heard about all of it from hey it is exposure and I am like advertising for you, to the good old it only will take a few minutes of your time. Now if you have paid me before and I did the work and it really is that easy then I may help, but do not expect this at any point as I have to eat and live as well. Also you may be interrupting a paid customers work, you could be interrupting my family time etc....  But even during work hours I get very annoyed when someone wants work done for the good old excuses of it will only take a minute. That may be so but I only have so many minutes a day and remember as a developer and designer I have to do all of my work for myself. I am pretty sure you charge your boss for the hours you work, as I rarely in all my years, have found someone that shorts the bosses time card rather then pad it. So here goes the ten reasons from off the top of my head...  These are true for all graphic design, web developers, web designers, coders, scripters, freelance graphic designers, freelance artists, animators, application developers, photoshoppers, adobe pros, Java Professionals, PHP developers and every other tech related field of study ...

Top 10 Reasons to Never Expect 

Free Design and Development Work


  1. Because you do not work free either. So why should anyone else? 
  2. Because learning all these programs and languages took years and someone had to pay for it.
  3. Because this internet connection is not free, nor is my phone.
  4. Because when I do not have a client I need to be working on finding more.
  5. Because ads and exposure cost designers and developers money.
  6. Because my computers, and workstations I use cost almost as much as your car !
  7.  Because the software I use cost more then your car!
  8. Because keeping abreast of the newest tech and apps as well updates takes all my free time!
  9. Because I cannot eat your comments or live in your praise!
  10. Because to do my best work I need that financial motivation, you wanting freebies kills it!

    Bonus answers here !


 I use programs and apps as well cutting edge technology that in order to get the best of work costs money. Artists, Designers and Developers need to be respected and as well you pay for what you get. Often people will play the game of I could have done it myself, yet they are asking me to do it for them and when I am finished they cannot even implement the technology correctly. Two hours of searching Google for the answer to a question or idea is time we could have spent enjoying life and yet people play this all the time being cheap or not having the money to make money. Sure we reuse code, scripts, images, models and many other parts of previous jobs yet they may be saved in the cloud and again you come back to overhead which is not cheap. People often tell us I will give you a good review, but so will the paying customers. Often after people get what they want the reviews are never given and it turns into a big waste of time for the developer / designer. Sure someone in a 3rd world country may do it cheaper, no offense to them but at this point in time why are they not concentrating on work in there own country ? So seeing that many countries are having economic problems as well maybe you should be buying American where you have more protection over the job getting done rather then outsourcing and then wanting and American or UK Citizen to finish the work that the others did not.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment